The Volunteer Missionary Movement (VMM) recruits lay Christians in an ecumenical spirit to witness to the Catholic social justice tradition. VMM supports their commitment to sharing their lives, resources and skills as they collaborate with domestic and overseas partners to promote equality, empower sustainable human development and challenge unjust and oppressive social structures.
Founded in 1969 by Edwina Gateley in England, VMM is an independent Christian lay community
- We welcome people of all Christian faith traditions in an ecumenical spirit.
- We are women and men of various professions and backgrounds: single, married and families, who service in Central America and Africa, sharing a common vision to bring Jesus’ message of love and justice through lives of service.
- We are spirit-filled and called to personal transformation, witness and service to the poor and marginalized, peace and justice, community-building, and a global perspective.
- We serve in humility and solidarity as educators, nurses, engineers, counselors, social workers, fundraisers, capacity-builders, project managers, and administrators.
- We work with Project Partners who are non-profits and NGOs, school, clinics and parishes.
- We are international in scope: our U.S.A. office is in Greendale, Wisconsin. Our European office is in Dublin, Ireland, with satellite offices in Liverpool, England and Glasgow, Scotland.
We depend on our generous friends to provide the prayers and financial support that keeps mission alive!
Show your support today and click on the picture below to order a VMM shirt!